Re: [RC] diagonals - Truman Prevatt

I never pay much attention to description of diagonals - I just ride them. Right left - whatever, who cares as long as they feel right and as long as the horse and rider are their most efficient. I basically switch automatically - probably every 20 strides or so - more so if the trail is curvy. I don't think about it - it just happens. It is automatic because it feels right. I know when I end up on the wrong diagonal re wrong because it just feels wrong and that is what it is all about - isn't it?

I've taken riding lessons from time to time over my life. The worst came from - usually dressage instructors - who tend to want to explain via the spoken or written word when a picture is worth 10 words and the feel would be worth 10,000 words. The best instructor I ever had was a woman who had done everything with horses from gallop TB's when she was a teen to Grand Prix level eventing. To her the mechanics were simply a necessity to do what you wanted to do with a horse in her case jump 5 foot spread fences or fox hunt. To me it was endurance.

It is a lot easier when the mechanics become a necessity to an end rather than an end in themselves.

Left, right - who cares unless you want to write a book.

Truman

Beth Walker wrote:
That wasn't exactly what I mean. I don't have any problems finding the correct diagonal in a ring, and I change diagonals frequently when on the trail. I was referring to the earlier discussion in this forum where folks were talking about which diagonal they used when posting on slopes. Because the terminology was different, I was pretty sure I wasn't getting what they were saying.