[RC] Posting basics - Karen Everhart

Sharon is right.  You want to minimize (though you really can't totally eliminate) the tightening of the thighs.  If you tighten your thighs, it will tend to lift you up and out of your seat to some degree, thus lifting your center UP and de-stabilizing you.  Instead you want lift from your tail as you rise into your hands.  Visualize a thin thread of line running from the pommel of your saddle, through your pubis bone (the front bone of the pelvis), to your tailbone.  Now, reel that line in and "feel" yourself raise - with minimal effort - towards and over the pommel (unless you have a horned saddle, and if so, please stop short of the horn).

For those with good knees, you can practice on the floor.  Kneel on the floor with your lower legs bent underneath and behind you, as if praying.  Now, sit back onto your heels.  Now, raise from that position, to an upright position, using your tush to elevate you.  Then LOWER in a controlled fashion.  Remember, it is not the "up" phase that we initiate, since the horse lifts us, but the "down" phase that we control.

Karen Everhart MEd
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082
 personally don't find that it tightens anything except my butt, but maybe I'm just a very controlled anti-diarrhea
rider.
-Sharon L. in Maine