Re: [RC] [RC] Scottsdale Ride - Carla Richardson

On 4/8/07, Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Man, oh man. What a ride.
    Rusty Toth did a magnificent job of organizing this ride. >

Congratulations, Dayna, for BC! (Or should I say, Princess Dayna.) I couldn't agree more with Bruce that the ride was excellent - thank you to Rusty, for making it such a fun and well organized ride. The volunteers - wow. Everyone, from the check in, the water crew (the water tanks were placed perfectly), to the in and out timers, the vet crews, etc. were so friendly, cheerful, always smiling, ready with an encouraging word. Rusty, please thank them all again, they did an outstanding job with all of us.

I have more respect than ever for riders that can complete a 50 miler (much less a 100...!). My ride at Scottsdale was not as successful as Bruce's and Dayna's -- I was overtime. I think if it had been a 50 instead of a 55 I could have completed, at least I like to think so :-). My horse, Top Gun, was so great, so strong -- if he had had a better, stronger rider I KNOW he could have finished on time. I kept slowing him down, because I was not in condition to keep going fast when we needed to. He came into both vet checks already pulsed down, we had no delays there. When we got back to camp, he was still eager to keep going, his ears were up the whole day. He didn't look tired or stressed at all -- I, on the other hand, looked ... well, let's just say I'm sure I looked tired. :-p Top's 18 yrs old now, and this was our first attempt at a 50 (why did I have to pick a 55 to start? Ha!). He has such a big heart, he kept pulling at me to go faster, eager to go down the trail. What a horse. What a lousy rider! Ok, just an out of shape rider...

I had such a great time, even if I didn't "complete" and get miles, I enjoyed the trails, and the camp, and met some really nice people. And I came home with a happy, healthy horse. Yesterday, a 12 hour trailer ride home, which was an adventure in itself -- going from warm Scottsdale to going over Lizardhead Pass last night in a snowstorm. So glad to get home at last. And if you don't look too close, I'm almost walking normally. ouch ouch ouch ... my legs are getting stronger, yes, that's it...

Carla Richardson  (and MT Top Gun -- let's SPEED UP, Mom, let me GO!!!)
Colorado