Re: [RC] Horses and "fun" - pat holsebeke

Oh I sooo disagree!! My horses have fun and we play on
a regular basis. One of thier favorite games is chase.
It started when short on time I would go out in the
pasture and chase them with a lunge whip. At first
they didnt know what to think and then they figured it
out. I would hide behind the barn and they would try
to sneak by and I would jump out and they would all
run like crazy with tails high and snorting like mad.
They would run all the way to the front of the pasture
then try to sneak up on me and when I jump out the
whole thing starts over. The young ones will keep it
up longer than the older ones who will drop out when
they get tired. It was a good way to make sure
everyone got some exercise when I didnt have time to
ride. They also play throw your feeder over the wall.
Some times I find everyones feeder in someone elses
stall. My horses can put thier heads over the stalls
so they can do that. Even the 27yr old has done this.
Each one is different but Joey my big quarter horse
will follow the tractor any where it goes and gets in
the way because he likes it. Mirage teases the others
to get attention then they chase him. I can see my
horses out my window and if the neighbor horses get
running they all love to get involved. I know my arab,
Mirage loves his distance rides because he gets so
excited and cant wait to get down the trail. We think
of our horses as family so maybe thats why we are so
intuned to them. We also do everything to make thier
lives as comfortable as possible and they in return
try to please us. Our big guy even gives kisses when
asked. We only have 5 so maybe a bigger herd might be
harder to get to know as individuals but they are just
like big dogs. You just have to pay attention. Pattie
H.
--- Nikki McCormack <neyska@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok.  I don't know that horses understand the concept
of fun.  I am sure they can enjoy things in the
sense that a full belly is comforting to them and a
romp with a playmate gets the blood flowing.  I did
my first 50 last weekend and, as I said on another
group, "I could not have done it without my horse,
and he sure as heck would not have done it without
me."

That said, when we condition on the same old trails,
my little Arabian gets bored and drags along and I
really have to push him.  He always gets in the
trailer and he always does it because that is what
he is trained to do, but he does not seem to get
much out of it.  At the 50, he was forward and
willing the whole ride, even when we were close to
the end and he had gone further than ever before,
even when we lost sight of all the other horses and
it was just him, me, and our usual riding company,
my husband and his horse.  I won't say he was having
fun, but he sure was willing and eager to discover
the new trail.

So maybe they don't have fun, but, at least with my
horses, they sure seemed to like it when they have
someplace new and different to see.  I would never,
ever, intentionally hurt my horses, but I do think
one must consider the balance between quality and
quantity.  A well managed endurance horse is healthy
and fit (doesn't that lead to longer life, barring
accidents?) and they sure get more stimulation than
most pasture ponies.  I imagine some horses would
prefer life without such stimulation, but mine seem
to thrive on it.

NikkiAERC M33800 / PNER 3782 / NSS 44146

The fish are biting.