[RC] Pads after shoeing - sherman

April,

I have only used the Hoof-It brand of pour-in pads and have been satisfied with its performance. If it is applied to a dry hoof (not a horse pulled out of spring pasture after a rainy day), then I’ve found they do stay in very well, sometimes for weeks. If the hoof isn’t dry, then it may or may not last the entire 50 mile ride. You don’t need to fill up the entire hoof area, just cover the sole nicely. It really is helpful to have someone help you with it. My friend used the Hoof-it in a tube and the tube burst open, so we stick to the powder & liquid that you mix in a cup.

Hope that helps,

Kathy

I am looking for a pour-in pad solution that can be applied after shoeing. Here's what I've done. Last year I had my farrier put shoes and pads on my horse for Chicken Chase in
Indiana. This year, my farrier came out a couple days before City Slickers. I was thinking about City Slickers, not Chicken Chase, and forgot to have him put pads in. Chicken Chase will fall into the same shoe cycle and I don't want to have my farrier out to pull the shoes and put pads in.

I don't want to use Easyboots over shoes because I have not done that in training and I don't want to introduce the extra weight and bulkiness at this late date. Same for Bosana boots.

Most of the stuff I've read indicates you should put the pour-in pads in when you shoe. Equi-Build and Equi-Pak both seem to indicate they can be applied post-shoeing. Has anybody used these this way in humid climates? I have foudn a couple of posts in the archives of users using these in dry climates. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

I may end up just hoping he'll be ok without pads. I've done one day rides there without pads, but doing two, I would like the extra protection.

Thanks!
April
Nashville, TN