Re: [RC] [RC] Pads after shoeing - Dawn Carrie

Hi April,
We've used the same stuff Ed mentioned, the black Equi-build.  It stays in best at least a couple of weeks after shoeing, when there's a bit of a lip under the inside edge of the shoe to help hold it.  Make sure the hoof is spotlessly clean, and bone dry.  You can do it at home before you go to the ride.  Either use a blow dryer to dry the hoof as Ed suggested, or, if the horse has been out in the mud/rain, it's best to let the feet dry long term, as a blow dryer won't get the deep moisture out of the hoof.  Put the horse in a stall with lots of shavings for a day or two to let his feed dry well.  After you squirt it in under the foam pad, put a strip of duct tape around the back to keep it from squirting out when you set his foot down.  :)  It sets up faster when it's hot, slower when it's cold.  We've had it stay in till the next shoeing...no problem with just leaving it in.

Dawn in East Texas (we sometmes use it when we go to rocky rides)