Re: [RC] Pads after shoeing - Sisu West Ranch

We are not now in humid area, but have still have friends who use pour-in pads in the Midwest.  I also have wet areas in my sub-irrigated pasture.

I have found that after two weeks in a damp pasture they will last about 40 miles.  When properly applied, I have gotten multiday ride performance her in MT.  I suspect you will get the same where you are.

Here is what I do:

1. Shoe the horse normally.  My horses almost always seem to be at least a few weeks into the cycle when I am going to a ride.
2. At the ride, the day before, take my hoof knife and clean out the sole.  I take particular care to clean under the steel shoe.  If it is clean, the crack will fill with pad material, I think this helps keep the pad on.
3. Clean the sole with 200 proof denatured alcohol.  The instructions warn not to use to much, but I am rather spastic so I usually use a lot, but am careful with the next step.
4. Dry the sole carefully using a hair dryer.  This is very important!!  The chemical reaction that cures the urethane pour-in pad uses special alcohols.  If the sole is damp with alcohol, it will not stick to the sole or properly cure.  You will need 120v AC to do this.  We purchased a generator mostly for this service.
5. Apply the stick-on foam board.
6. I put on rubber gloves, in a futile attempt to prevent the stuff from sticking to my skin.
7. Use Vaseline petroleum jelly to mask off areas on the horse where you do not want the stuff to stick.  It can irritate a horses heels.
8. Pump the material in the sole.  I like the black, fast setting hard stuff.  Wait the proper amount of time for it to start to jell.  Put the horses foot down on a hard flat surface.
9. Have your assistant hold the opposite foot up until the stuff sets.
10.  If you put two much in, use a sharp knife to trim.

When I have popped them out after a couple of weeks, the normal sloughing of the sole has made them rather poorly adhered.  We have never lost a pad on a multiday ride.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875