[RC] Angie's Article/hate mail - heidi larson

I've always described (to the non-endurance rider) that
endurance riders tend to be all the extras from the other
riding diciplines.  We see cowboys, cowgirls, dressage
queens, young, old, in-between, clean, messy, old trailers,
western saddles, aussie saddles, partiers, loners (very few
of those) and the spectrum of horses is just as diverse.
However, my non-horsey husband has said and stands by this
statement to this day.  He says he's never seen a more
single-minded group of people than HORSE people.  Not
endurance riders specifically, HORSE people.  We tend to
say that what we ride is best, what we wear is best, how we
ride is best, etc. etc. etc.  Be it arabs, QH's, paints,
saddle types, breeches, truck brands, etc.  He's looking at
it from an outsider's perspective. This is based on his own
personal experiences from his grandfather that thought all
arabs were crazy, to showing 4-H with goats and hearing
that QH's are the best and cowboys rule at the local fair,
to living with me and my arabs and having friends who ride
WP, dressage, reining, team penning, endurance and just
plain trail riding.

I must follow this post up however, with comments made by
my QH friend who did an LD at Klickitat last year.
This lady has done reining, team penning and shown WP as
well as rides poker rides and AQHA rides.  She said that
she never met so many wonderful people at a horse event
than she did at the endurance ride last year.  In fact, she
and another gal are coming back to that ride this year and
possibly one other.  She said she felt welcome and had a
blast talking to everyone, even though she was riding a
chunky QH with a western saddle and leather chaps. And she
is not a reader, however, her husband (who is really
non-horsey) read Angie's book and LOVED it!  If we can't
laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?!!  I think we're
the best, but then maybe I'm predjudiced?!!

heidi larson and kalasha

--- frank solano <fradasol@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Same holds true for the riders, which makes sitting
around talking in camp
(for those who still do that sort of thing) and visiting
on the trail (for
those who have the time to do that sort of thing) one of
the attractive
aspects of the sport.

Frank

o o          o o