[RC] E'lytes...Overeating at Vet Checks (horses) - Marcia Nelson

I ride CTR and our vet checks are 10 minutes. We've had discussions on whether to feed them any carrots or treats while they are pulsing down for their check. I generally feed them lots of carrots throughout the day as we're riding as they have a lot of moisture in them and I'll throw in some treats for energy boosts along the way too. As I come into the check I'll give them a few carrots in the first 2 or 3 minutes as I loosen their saddle completely and drop their bridle. Then I rub down any spots that are itchy with my sponge and then the last 2 to 3 minutes I just stand with them and breathe deeply and convince them by example to go into the zone and relax. I'll stand by their side and head and rub at the girth area so that the person that steps into their space doesn't give them that surprise effect by putting the stethoscope on them. They offer our horses water at the end of these stops just before hitting the trail again.

I've heard mixed comments and beliefs about giving them any food at such a short stop. Our lunch stops are generally 45 min to an hour and that is where they have forage and water before we hit the trail again. Comments here?
Marcia