[RC] Shoes for the rider/ alternative - rides2far

April, I used to have lots of pain in my left foot riding Kaboot. Most
rides were a battle so I had lots of tension. Now I ride Gunner who
seemed to just be a rough ride.  I have changed my way of riding lately,
due to the fact that Gunner is NOT an easy horse to ride smoothly. I
kinda knew though that it was "doable" and he could make me a better
rider if I'd just find my spot.

What helped me was Josie's dressage instructor saying, When you post
forward, your bellybutton should arrive first.  Then I carefully went
over my old Sally Swift centered riding book and just started taking
inventory. I remember meeting Mary Koefod once (I think she won the ROC 3
times and she was a dressage rider). She had me put my fingers under her
foot when she posted to show me how little pressure was in her stirrups..

So, here I am now going down the trail. I have moved my feet farther back
under my body (pretty short stirrup) it kinda feels like my heels are up
but they're not so long as they're relaxed. When I post I go more FORWARD
not up if you stay low but forward you *can* stay in the air long enough
with a short enough stirrup.  Bellybutton first. If you relax ankles,
knees, hip joints it feels like there's no weight in the stirrups. Ask
yourself often, do I feel the same amount of weight in both feet? Do I
feel both seat bones equally? Sally Swift said to think of your lower
half as  filled with sand, the upper half with helium. These statements
used to just go in one ear and out the other, but now I can feel a
difference when I tense up. You breath deeply, from the diaphram, not
lifting your chest. You relax your eyes and kinda look at everything at
once (includes your peripheral vision not focusing hard on one item).
Once I've gone through the "roll call" of all those things, I kinda start
over and check them all off again.  Surprisingly enough, I haven't gotten
dumped when he throws in a slam on the brakes shy when I'm in my "Zen"
mode. >g< No more pain in the feet by the way. Same stirrups, same shoes.

The different position & posting also seems to have helped on rubbing.
Sally Swift book gives more details on postiion. So long as I'm not
walking a lot the short stirrups don't hurt my knees (and they're bad).
I am definitely not the greatest equitation rider in endurance. Nothing
but self taught stuff trying to get it for free from books and watching,
but this has worked for me.

P.S. I love riding Gunner now. He doesn't feel rough.

Angie