Re: [RC] Shoes for the Rider - Beverley H. Kane, MD

April,

In Nov '06 Endurance News there is an article I wrote on shoes for the
rider. It was based on a survey of AERC members as a result of the time when
I was new to endurance and tore my feet to hamburger meat in paddock boots
on steep hills on a hot day. If you don't have that EN, PM me and I'll e-
you the author's proof.

The majority of people in that survey chose Ariat Terrains. A lot of people
used hybrid hiking-running shoes. As I recall, one or two people used
Horseshoes and there were a few other interesting outliers--inc paddock
boots.
  Off of the survey, I bought a couple of low cut versions of
Terrains--same platform construction--Pulse and Dumas + Ariat Terrain half
chaps. They worked well until one day this Fall, on a long ride, the
stretched out L Dumas fell off my foot at a vigorous trot, held on only by
my half chap. I rode the rest of the way in w/ one working stirrup. What a
pain!

After that, and taking a cue from some top notch endurance
riders/ride-and-tiers in my area, I switched to wearing my running shoes +
half chaps. With wide, bunionesque forefoot & skinny heels, I can only wear
Saucony. This has worked well, and I hope I'm -done- changing shoes. The
half chaps keep out dirt and rocks, tho at sandy rides, I see some folks
wearing gaiters.

If you go with running shoes, two suggestions--make sure there are no fancy
heel tabs that rub. They can cause pump bumps--rubbing on the Achilles
tendon. Some runners have to cut vertical slits to free up the heel tabs.
   Also, get a pair of spring-loaded shoelace clips from a running store,
and never have to tie your shoes again. (Lazy bum that I am, I keep the
shoe-half chap combo attached and just slip the whole thing on, loosening
and tightening the toggle clips.)
 I still wear the Dumas and Pulse for loping around the flat ranch on my
24-yo. But I won't risk them again for long, hilly, fast rides on athletic
horses.

Please let us know what you decide on and what works (and doesn't work)!

Beverley