Re: [RC] Shoes for the Rider - Truman Prevatt

The most important thing about riding shoes is they fit. Different brands of shoes do fit different types of feet. For example I can not wear anything that says Nike - they don't fit me feet well. However, just about anything Reebok makes seems to fit. New Balance works sometimes and sometimes not. I encountered this problem in my younger days when I was playing a lot of competitive tennis. There is not a faster way to turn your feet into hamburger than playing a long match in a 95 degree day in August in the humidity of the Washington DC area in shoes that don't fit.

For riding I use either trail running shoes, light weight low top hiking boots or cross training shoes. Timberline seems to work well. Reebox seems to work well. I'm more interested in how they fit my feet and how they fit into the stirrup (some shoes are too wide at the top) than what they look like or who makes them.

My advice is to go to the Sports Authority and try on everything that looks like it will work. Get what fits.

Truman

Beverley H. Kane, MD wrote:
April,

In Nov '06 Endurance News there is an article I wrote on shoes for the
rider. It was based on a survey of AERC members as a result of the time when
I was new to endurance and tore my feet to hamburger meat in paddock boots
on steep hills on a hot day. If you don't have that EN, PM me and I'll e-
you the author's proof.

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas