Re: [RC] [RC] Cougars - Carla Richardson

Some sheep and goat farmers around southwest Colorado (prime mountian lion country) keep one or two llamas in the pastures with their sheep and goats.  Not only a mountain lion deterrent, but they keep coyotes and/or dogs away also.

The first time my horse, Top, saw llamas on the trail he was wide eyed but not terrified.  A group of hikers were leading llamas, there were 4 llamas all with packs, it was quite a sight to meet this pack train on a fairly remote mountain trail.  At the time I worked for a feed store, and a couple of months later at Christmas time, the store manager decided to have a live animal display in the parking lot.  I volunteered Top to be the horse in the display.  We set up pole pens, about 10 x 10 size, and when I arrived with Top, his pen shared a side with two alpacas.  On the other side was a llama.  I am certain that the other employees did that to see how my Arabian would do -- since they didn't know Top, they knew he was an Arabian, and they probably figured he was a "crazy silly Arabian ..." (don't ya love stereotypes).  Imagine their surprise when I walked him in there and he nonchalantly looked at the alpacas, they looked at him, and both started calmly eating their hay.  Hee hee.  We had calves, lambs, goat kids, a steer, llamas, alpacas, and an Arabian in the pens.

If I were in a situation like yours, I'd seriously think about getting a llama.  They used to be very expensive, but now you can find them for a couple of hundred bucks, or sometimes even for free.

Carla Richardson
Colorado