[RC] Nebraska Horse Trails - Shannon Chastain

Action Required

To:           Horse Trail Riders

From:       Nebraska Horse Trails Committee

Subject:    Good News / Bad News / Need Help!

Good News!  We learned recently of a recreational grant made available for the
construction of trails at Lewis & Clark State Recreation Area
(SRA) in northeast Nebraska.  Although this was great news, we have most
recently
learned the construction of these trails may be in jeopardy and we need your
help!

Here's the bad news!  It has been brought to our attention that local hunters
in the
area who want to continue hunting on a SRA may compromise trail development.
Due to
their complaint, we have been told that the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
(NGPC) is
prepared to decline the grant and not build the trails since the position of
the NGPC
is to not close trails at any time.  It is all or nothing with them.

As a horse trail riders, I am very concerned that the hunting community has
such a
strong pull on a SRA.  This is NOT a Wildlife Management Area!  Hunters are
just one
minor user of this park and should not have primary control over trail
decisions!  To
decline grant money for trails which horse trail riders could enjoy during late
spring, summer and early fall because of hunting seasons during the other times
of the
year should not be an option!  Frankly, it's asinine.

As a horse trail riders and on behalf of the Nebraska Horse Trails Committee
and
Horsetrailriders.com, I urge you to contact the NGPC officials and
commissioners.  I
posted my letters and emails today.  In my correspondence, I stated the
following
points:

*       As a horse trail rider, I am cognizant of hunting seasons and
use caution or choose not to ride during those times
*       Signage could be provided by NGPC to alert trail users of the
hunting seasons
*       Close trails during rifle seasons
*       Do not decline the grant!  Share the park!
*       Trails are needed and appreciated at Lewis & Clark State
Recreational Area!

The hunters have been heard.  Now it's our turn.  According to the American
Horse
Council, there are 3.9 million people who trail ride with their horses!  Let
them hear
us roar!  (But a respectful roar, please!) I urge all of you to contact
officials
today!  Use your own words; be
reasonable and to the point.    We want more horse trails in our state.
For us; for the state.   Recreational areas are for all of us.  We are
willing to compromise, but declining the trails should not be an option!

Emails and/or letters can be sent to:

Rex Amack, Director of Nebr Game & Parks

PO Box 30370

Lincoln, NE  68503

Rex.amack@xxxxxxxxxxx

Roger Kuhn, Assistant Director Parks Division

PO Box 30370

Lincoln, NE  68503

Roger.kuhn@xxxxxxxxxxx

Daryl Holmberg, Superintendent

Lewis & Clark SRA

54731 896 Road

Crofton, NE  68730

Daryl.holmberg@xxxxxxxxxxx

Post letters to the Commission of District III

Gary Parker, Commissioner

NE Game & Parks

6272 Country Club Drive

Columbus, NE  68601

(no email)

Take Action!  Forward to horse people!  Let's be heard.

www.nebraskahorsecouncil.org/nhtc.htm

www.horsetrailriders.com <http://www.horsetrailriders.com/>