Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] GPS - "As you know..." - Susan

Don,
I'm sorry because the words of experts mean nothing to you.  As Randy noted, a 50 mile ride should ride as a 50.  A GPS is a good tool and that's how I use mine...same as my HR monitor.  However, I depend on neither.

As I said, 35 miles in 8 hours of trotting and cantering is not correct.  That's not a feeling; that is fact.  Personally, I'm tickled pink you've not experienced this.  This particular ride was several years ago now.  As Angie pointed out, it lost several riders because it was WAY long.  I suppose a rider with 25,000 miles under her belt (not me) that says the trail is long means nothing to you as well since you are dead set on defending the use of a GPS for measuring an endurance trail.

A person needs to do what he feels is right.  The RM used a wheel to measure 100% of the trail the following 2 years and the times reflect that accuracy just as the times reflect the inaccuracy of the trail measured only using a GPS.

For what it's worth, posting a private message on a public forum is rude.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)