Re: [RC] [AERCMembersForum] GPS - "As you know..." - Don Huston

Susan,
I don't know why you are sorry but I did notice that you failed to tell how you knew that the GPS mileage was wrong. Just because it felt longer or someone noticed that it was longer (whatever that means) or discussed it at the convention does not prove that the GPS mileage was wrong. If you or anyone else that has a GPS track for a ride that they would like to have checked for accuracy just email it to me and I will run it thru my software and post the results.

Personally I don't care what the mileage is for a particular ride, I ride for fun, it's my hobby. I try to make it very clear that I'm not complaining, just giving information and  tell only the ride manager what my GPS mileage was and offer to make them a map showing all the water stops and vet checks with distances so they can decide what if anything they want to change for next year. Some rides are harder than others because of steeper terrain, difficult footing, severe weather, etc. but just because a particular ride takes longer and tires you more does not mean that the mileage is wrong.

GPS is just another tool and should be checked by the user to see if their particular tool is correct (within limits). Most newer car odometers are very accurate. Take your GPS for a 30-40 mile drive on some windy back road and check it out. If you assume your GPS is short 10-20% because someone says so but it is really correct, then all your estimates on fitness and the ability of your horse to complete a 50 are going to be short by 5-10 miles....not a good idea. I train for an accurate mileage then when the ride is over and my GPS says 42mi I am happy to get credit for 50mi but I also know that if the ride had been a true 50 we would still have finished in fine condition with no complaints because after all this is endurance and according to some studies the endurance part for horses doesn't even start until the 35 mile mark.

Check your tools. You wouldn't use a heart monitor that was off 10-20% would you?

Don Huston