[RC] Menu Foods KNEW for Months!! LONG - Raven

OFF ANOTHER LIST!!!!!!!   Hundreds have died..over 500 reported on
Nightline!  Menu Foods knew about this ...back in February.  Please
cross post to all pet owners.

Hi Folks,

There are Blogs & other Web Sites to keep up with the latest on this awful
situation, and it is disturbing to read the numbers of reports and that the
pet food manufacturer knew about this for quite some time, and instead of
doing laboratory chemical analysis on the pet food, they fed the tainted
food INTENTIONALLY to animals -- causing suffering and death!

Here are some Links you may want to refer to as updated information becomes
available.

http://howl911.com/
"FDA HAS RECEIVED "OVER A THOUSAND REPORTS": While anecdotal, this
information is the first number we've heard from either the FDA or Menu
Foods. This information comes from a dogster.com forum posting by a dog
parent whose dog died eating the recalled food."

"MENU FOODS FAILED TO ACT FOR THREE MONTHS
Began receiving customer complaints as far back as December 2006"
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/565102.html

http://catmanager.wordpress.com/
"... I do, however, expect Hill's (makers of Science Diet and Hill's
prescription diets), Iams, Purina, and Royal Canin to make more of an effort
than I've seen. As Dr. Khuly at Dolittler notes, "They certainly know how to
get to us when it comes to selling their food." (They also sponsor
veterinary research, conferences, and professional associations. They want
to be associated with us.) Yet when cans and pouches encompassing over
ninety (now ninety-five) brands of pet food are recalled, we hear nothing.
No phone calls from our local sales reps. No faxes. Not even an e-mail. In
the case of Hill's, Purina, and Royal Canin-all companies that rely on
veterinarians to market their prescription diets and (often) to recommend
their maintenance diets-this is just insulting ..."

http://www.dolittler.com/index.cfm/2007/3/20/pet.vet.dog.cat.iams.%20nutro.p
et%20food%20recall.3.20.07#comments
" The minute a problem was suspected and testing begun, a cautionary warning
should have been issued so that the feeding of these products could be
stopped until the testing was completed. Just another example of big
business looking out for their profit margin instead of the welfare of their
customers' pets. This has been a real wake up call for me. I know realize
how stupid I have been to believe the advertising hype of these companies. I
had no idea that Eukanuba had outsourced the production of the their foods."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/185057/death_toll_continues_to_rise
_from_recalled.html
"Death Toll Continues to Rise from Recalled Pet Food.   On February 20,
2007, Menu Foods began receiving complaints of kidney failure and death in
pets. Several days later, the company began testing the food in question on
some 40 dogs and cats. Seven of the animals tested, died.  ...  On March 16,
Menu Foods announced a recall of its "cuts and gravy" style pet food in cans
and pouches. ...
According to the FDA, the affected food was produced at a plant in Emporia
Kansas. Menu Foods also recalled food produced at a New Jersey factory as a
precaution. The recalled food was manufactured at these plants between
December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007...."

http://www.petconnection.com/index.php
"Pet-food recall: Has your pet been affected? Click here to report a sick
pet http://www.petconnection.com/recall/index.php
Update: As of 6 p.m. Tuesday, nearly 250 pets have been reported as dead to
our PetConnection database
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2007/03/21/pet-food-recall-more-than-200-d
ead/
At PetConnection, we are tracking the number of sick pets, and we're asking
for your help. We're also keeping on top of the situation on our Web log.
..."

http://www.itchmo.com/
"The question on many people's minds is "why did Menu Food wait almost 3
months to start testing their product?" ,,, It turns out that of the 10 pet
deaths reported in the initial recall, 7 or more pets were in the test
group, and Menu Foods waited 14 days to issue the recall after having
conclusive evidence, not the 10 days we originally thought."

"The financial situation for Menu Foods (and its parent company) is spelled
out in this article [http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/menu_foods_recall ].
In a nutshell (all dollars Canadian):       The trust scraped out a profit
of $6.4 million for all of 2006 on sales of $356.2 million, after a 2005
loss of $54.7 million.

The recall came as the trust, which has not paid distributions to
investors since December 2005, was showing signs of health after being hit
hard by rising costs and the strong Canadian dollar.

The median estimate for the cost of the recall (USD $30 million) would have
been roughly six times their 2006 profits (USD $5.4 million)."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20070320/hl_hsn/petdeathtollrisesintaintedfoodre
call
"... The agency is also requesting that people with sick or deceased pets
who believe their pet might have consumed one of the implicated products
contact a state complaint coordinator. A list of coordinators can be found
at the FDA Web site" http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html

"The FDA and the Humane Society advise consumers who have any of these
products to stop feeding them to their pets. Menu Foods has a consumer
recall hotline at 1-866-895-2708.  The company has announced that it will
compensate the owners of pets that died."

Helen's comments:
There's been lawsuits filed already -- for much more info, do a search for
pet food recall - in the NEWS section of google -- the numerous articles
illustrate the magnitude of the problem -- for example:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070320/pet_food_recall.html?.v=1
"Chicago Woman Claims Pet Food Manufacturer Delayed Recall of Contaminated
Products ... A Chicago woman sued Menu Foods on Tuesday, alleging the pet
food manufacturer delayed announcing a recall of 60 million containers of
dog and cat food despite knowing its products were contaminated and
potentially deadly...."

Regards,
Helen

Helen McKinnon
Western NC, USA
Helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ItsForTheAnimals.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  __._,_.___
                                      Messages in this topic
(0)                                          Reply           (via web
post)           |                     Start a new topic
                Messages               |    Files               |
Photos                        |    Database
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE RABIES Vaccination CHALLENGE FUND - much-needed study to benefit
companion animals. For more information, please see:
<http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/RABIES-CHALLENGE-FUND.HTM>

Recent Activity

10 New Members

1
New Links
  Visit Your Group

What's your issue?

Film it. Change the world.

Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever

Share and vote

on Bix.com!

Get Discounts

Yahoo! Shopping

Compare prices and

find great deals.

Drive Sales

Connect with

customers who are

searching for you.
.

--
Raven
Lucy & Molly, the Girl Doggies

Respect ALL Earthlings. We are all animals of this planet. We are all creatures.