From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen Everhart
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 14:39
To: Dyane Smith; Jennifer Adam
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] euthanization

I beg to disagree that the "key" is finding people with the finances and facilities, etc....

I believe the "key" is to provide for your own horses (and other animals) after your death.  If you had a dependent child, who could not support itself, you would be certain that the person providing care has all the resources needed to do the very best for your child.  Or, your child would be cared for through state or federal programs.

Our animals can not care for themselves - so we must do it for them.  I do not think it fair or reasonable to "expect" to find others to pay to care for my animals.  Hence, I have documents in place which designate, through a trust, where the animals go, and the resources to care for them.

If you are fortunate to find someone who is willing to do so, then by all means take advantage of their gracious offer.  But before your "time," please try to assess the expectations you are placing on these generous friends and perhaps designate funds from life insurance or property sales, etc.  Your relatives, for the most part, can support themselves, so any money you may have directed to them, give it to those who have agreed to take care of your animals.

Karen Everhart MEd
President
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082