Re: [RC] euthanization - Sisu West Ranch

Burying on the farm:

I don't know why there is a state law.  But then California has a lot of laws with which I do not agree.  There are many areas where it is not good ecologically, even if legal, to bury a horse.  Here in the Bitterroot, the ground water level is really near the surface.  That water drains to the Bitterroot river.  The Bitterroot river is a good trout stream.  Trout are very sensitive to water quality.  If enough horses are buried (and probably more important enough septic systems are installed) the river water quality would decrease.

In some areas, if there is enough room so the neighbors won't complain of the smell, it is ecologically fine to allow the body to decompose on the surface.  This feeds local scavengers like hawks, eagles, buzzards and coyotes.  Unfortunately, this is most likely a bad idea here because two species of bear are part of the cleanup crew.

I personally do not see any real difference between rendering and cremation.  Both start with the body that has been killed or died.  At that point the horse is not capable of feeling pain or suffering.  Cremation burns the body, rendering cooks the body and thus recovers usable fat and other things.

The last times we had to dispose of horses, the charge by the rendering company was rather reasonable, on the order of $140.  Now that was a few years ago and in a different state.  I'm sure that it will be less than the cost of cremation.

ED
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875