Re: [Norton AntiSpam] RE: [RC] euthanization - Truman Prevatt

I'm actually going through this right now. We are rewriting our wills and this is a very real issue. Barb, you have done a great job, but you did it on your own and I don't want the welfare of my horses to depend on finding a Saint to take them on if Kathy and I croke at the same time. I don't think the issue is so much the money or trust you set up (any lawyer can write a trust) - it is finding a reliable party to manage the trust after you are gone. That is the issue we have since most of our friends who we would trust are also getting a little long in the tooth also and I have a two young ones out in the pasture.

Truman

Mcgann, Barbara wrote:
Karen,
I find this an interesting thread, as I have experienced being on the receiving end of the horses with no financial support. Let me back up a bit...About 7 years ago, I was selling horses, trying to get my herd down to a manageable number, as I had experienced several life changes (husband dieing, etc) that made it harder for me to have a large herd. I was doing a good job at it, too....had my horse count down to about 7 (from 12 or so).
Then my mom took a call from a friend. Short story....bone cancer, husband had left her, no brothers, sisters, children or relatives....and she had 22 horses!!! We ended up taking 11 of them. So my horse herd went right back up to 18 in one days time! Most of the new horses had not been touched in several years and were in various stages from half broke to completely wild. I spent the next five years gentling, breaking, training and finding homes for most of them. I am NOW back down to just 6 horses total (and may sell one or two more). I WISH the lady had left me some money as well as the horses to cover their expenses (not to mention my time and effort!).
My question is: How would you determine a reasonable amount to set aside for the care of your critters after your death? Would you just be looking at 1 or 2 years worth of care for X number of animals, assuming that the caretaker would find homes in a reasonable time for them? Or would you want to do an actuarial type thing...I have X number of horses that will live from 5 to 25 years at $X per year.
Barb McGann

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas