Re: [RC] Raffles breeding and endurance - Sisu West Ranch

"...attribute success to a horse so many generations back..."

That may depend on a number of factors. One can not just look at one line when evaluating a pedigree.

1. What is the percentage of the genetic makeup? Alysa is 64% Raffles, so I feel safe in concluding that his genes have a big effect on her.
2. What has been the goal of the breeding program? If the program has consistently aimed at producing performance horses, that have the desirable characteristics of the line, you probably have lots of the good genes. Again Alysa is from a good long term breeding program. If on the other hand, the programs have just bred to the current fashionable horses, the result is less likely to resemble the famous ancestors. Personally, I like to see animals from relatively close breeding programs. It is a hint that the breeders were possibly thinking, not just using "popular" blood lines in attempt to increase sale price.

3. What does the animal look like? If the horse doesn't look like a typical result of that type of breeding program, then the famous ancestor probably doesn't mean much. Alysa also is a small horse that looks like Raffles photographs.

4. Who is the tail mare? All energy production is the result of mitochondria. These all come exclusively from the dam, and her dam etc.

My bottom line: Pedigrees are a help and a guide, but you have to look deeper.

Disclaimer: I do not pretend to be able to properly evaluate a pedigree, predict the outcome of a mating, or counsel anyone about which horse to buy. I leave that to Wendy.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875