[RC] Cashel softsaddle - Thekids18049

Hello!

I saw someone questions the cashel soft saddle's use in distance riding. I have some personal experience in this sport with the Cashel.

It all started in mid July when my cheap synthetic english saddle left puffiness on my gelding's back after a 30 mile CTR. Therefore, I opted never to lay that saddle on his bag again. We presumed that since it was a 200 dollar saddle it was not meant to be ridden in 40 miles a week for a year and a half. My mentor and I  thought it was just wearing out and starting to cause unpleasant effects to my steed's back.

Therefore, I went on an ebay search frantically looking for a saddle. I've seen the Cahsels but could only buy it online until one day when I went to the tack shop and found one there! I was extatic and bought it and they told me I could return it in good condition and I agreed. I found it to take me a little while to get used to it. Definitely has a different feel than most saddles I've ever ridden in before. Only rode in it a few times for 1-2 hr. rides and then took it with to a 2 day 50 LD. Big Mistake...

Anyhow, This ride was nearly all uphill and downhill. I had no breastcollar and had no problem with it sliding or anything. And many of these hills we never thought would end! After the midpoint, the side flaps kept bunching up and actually wore through the flap causing a hole and causing my legs much discomfort!

Didn't get a completion on the first day, couldn't get his pulse down. It was about 95 degrees that day and high humidity but I've never had trouble before with getting his pulse down in other hot rides. He lingered around 70. Couldn't get him down for a while. Since it was an LD I didn't have an hr. to get him down. My time was still running until his pulse came down. Had about 10 minutes til cutoff and didn't make it. He went down to about 68 at our last sec. to get completion but didn't go down any farther. And his CRI stayed around 70. His pulse was down within the hr. But I was quite worried.

Anyhow, I don't know if the saddle had anything to do with his pulse. It is just foam and I had a fleece pad underneath which probably didn't help either. I just don't think it's breathable? I feel that this is not a saddle to ride endurance for multiple reasons from my own experience. I really liked it though. Very comfy.

So I rode bareback for a month. My performance bred paint gelding is quite a bouncy guy so It was quite a fun month so to say! I had to keep him at a 6 mph trot max to be able to sit his trot!

Then I bought a freeform and have been happy ever since!

Good luck!

Kyle ' n ' Kolby (The paint)