RE: [RC] Empirical evidence versus statistics - heidi

Huh?  Not sure where you've been the past several years, Bob, but yes, it is the "empirical" experience of many of us that long recoveries post-ride constitute risk, and that the finish line is one of the most common places for treatment.  So I'm not sure why you think that there is no empirical reason driving this particular concept.

Heidi

Bob wrote:
I agree our empirical experiences influenced by veterinary
insight/science has played a great part in past decisions
regarding the competition rules of conduct. But invariably
these empirical experience governed rules changes have been
introduced in a manner such as; action x has produced
results y which are not completely satisfactory for our
sport, thus if we modify x to x1 state we think our results
y1 will be more acceptable.

In the current discussion of modifying a particular rule,
there has been no presentation of what fault is currently
perceived with the rule as it is.

A few questions on this matter:
1. Is there a concern for the numbers of equines taking a
lengthy period for recovery after crossing the finish line?
2. Are there more equines presenting for intervention post
finish than at interim vet checks?
3. Could we have the rationale behind the WH Committee's
decision for the change? What conditions in our sport
preceded the decision?
4. Do you really expect this rule change to have a
noticeable effect on our sport?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=