RE: [RC] re: ROC 1987-musings - Christina McCarthy

Well it is great to be able to converse with the "Pioneers" of endurance...it is also cool meeting you all at rides...I was amazed at the Mustang Memorial how many "older" riders were competing!  And from the looks of it they where enjoying it as a social event (not terribly concerned how long it took them to complete the 50 miles). So we now create our own stories, based on what is happening now.  I know that the amount of riders has decreased and that several rides have been cancelled because of a lack of entries.  So what about promoting the sport..there is so much knowledge here..

Christina McCarthy

To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: c_collins@xxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] re: ROC 1987-musings
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:46:58 -0700

"... I would love to hear more how this sport has progressed and the positive changes that have taken place."

Christina McCarthy

Ah, Christina...I think you missed the whole point of the old timers' musings.  While it's all up to your point of view, lots of us don't think much of the "progress" and "positive changes."  We were missing the days when riders spent much less time whining and complaining and demanding more rules and more awards for less effort and much less risk.  A time when riders thought 50 miles was a training distance for 100s.  Glad you enjoy our tales, though. They get better every year.   Wish you could have ridden along with Smokey Killen and Bandit on the early XPs...we had to stop every 5 miles to take a sip out of his bottle.  The bottle was stuffed in a nasty old sock!  If we were along a passable road(I use this term very loosely), his crew drove ahead with the motorhome and handed out the bottle every 5 miles.  If it was too rough for the crew, the bottle stayed with Smokey :)  Don't think there wasn't some "science" to this operation, though.  Smokey had this routine of walking a certain number of mins., trotting a certain number of mins., then cantering a certain number of mins.  When you got back to the walk, it was time for the bottle!

Cindy Collins