Re: [RC] Aches and Pains - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

I have skeletal arthritis and I refuse to take the
steriods that the doctors insist I should be on.  The
meds make me feel worse in so many other ways than
they help to relieve the pains and affects of the
arthritis.

One of the biggest contributors to the pain, I most
recently found, is caffeine.  My joints in my fingers
get horribly sore and my hands are sometimes rendered
useless.  So, I eliminated coffee (I drink it very
strong...like espresso strength).  Then I started
missing it so bad that I decided to try Lattes made
with Soy Milk.  As long as I don't have more than
three a week I am fine.

I also noticed a huge difference in the way my hips
were working or not working in this case.  The drop in
caffeine useage has helped with this situation as
well.

The product I mentioned Ambrotose that I added to my
supplementation, for the pelvic pain, I think has also
helped with my arthritis as well.  This next week I am
going to eliminate all caffeine and see if I notice a
difference.  Then I am going to stop the Ambrotose for
a few days and see what happens.

I suspect the Ambrotose is helping in more areas than
I thought.  It is a product that has been developed
from vegetable stem cell.

So, I would say, for those that have arthritis issues
check your caffeine intake.

D'Arcy

--- Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  I have been following with interest the thread on
our "walking
wounded" endurance riders who ride with/in spite of
their
pains/arthritis/surgeries/injuries/disabilities.
First, I applaud all of
you for pursuing your addiction, I mean, passion.
And there may be some
good news. My experience caring for patients with
orthopedic problems
for 25 years has led to several observations. First,
I have noticed that
many people will spend an inordinate amount of money
on saddles,
trailers, trucks, etc, but would never dream of
spending the same amount
on themselves in the pursuit of better post-surgical
rehab to strengthen
and stabilize their knees, backs and shoulders after
the surgeon has
done his job. Many people may not keep up their
exercises or see the
chiro nearly as often as would offer better
stabilization and pain
reduction for their chronic problems. People in
general are very
adaptive and often resign themselves to the idea
that they are just
getting older, or their problem can't be improved.
Some "get used to"
their pains and seem to spend more time adapting to
them than actively
working hard to strengthen/minimize/reduce them.
Advil is very popular.
Trips to the physical therapist aren't as popular,
and the outcomes can
be very different. Advil will impair tissue healing,
and a judicious
home therapy program will build and strengthen. An
individual
chiropractic adjustment won't accomplish much other
than temporary pain
relief. An intelligent series of treatments and
proper attention to new
injuries will yield much better long term outcomes
and joint health.
   We need all the active members we can get and
keep. Please consider
consulting with your orthopedist, chiropractor, and
physical therapist
and grill them on whatever they think you can do to
improve your
situation, whether through them or at home on your
own. If they think
you are serious, they will often go the extra mile
for you. My
experience tells me there is usually something that
can be done to bring
abut meaningful improvement. But it has to start
with you. I will start
by recommending what I think is the best joint
supplement I have found
in all these years, and I take it myself for my
arthritic/surgerized
shoulder. It's called GLC 2000, and I have NO pain
as long as I take it
daily. You can find it online. They also make it for
horses and dogs.
Vitamin D has been shown to be very effective for
fibromyalgia, taken
daily. Patients in their 80's have been shown to be
able to build muscle
mass with weight lifting, so it's never too late.
      Maybe we can continue this thread by folks
telling us their
stories of what has worked (and not worked) for
their individual
orthopedic problems that might have otherwise kept
them out of the
saddle.   Dr Q

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
 liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx