RE: [RC] re: ROC 1987-musings - Christina McCarthy

Wow, I have really enjoyed this thread.  I can't imagine a ride without vets or people to point out the way.  Then again, I mountain biked before it was popular on a three speed Raleigh!  Change means allot of things, however Change is consistent and always occurs.  In any group of people in any sport there are the ones who enjoy it and take pleasure out of it, the ones who are competitive and always looking for the edge, those who curious what all the fuss is all about and are not committed as well as the hanger ones who feel the sport is too tough and needs to change.  I put myself in the first group (I'm the one with the huge silly grin on her face during the ride).  I would love to hear more how this sport has progressed and the positive changes that have taken place.

Christina McCarthy

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:41:51 -0800
From: dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] re: ROC 1987-musings
To: c_collins@xxxxxxx
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

WAY to go on this to Angie and Cindy!!!!

I have been saying to long time now, that this sport has turned into a bunch of folks that really don't understand how it use to be.  Not to say, "Us old folks are against change", Not that we don't have good horses and riders today....but frankly, they don't make them like they did back then....my horses included.  I could roll all of mine into one horse, and they still aren't as good as my best one was then.  I can remember pulling into a ride, and looking around, seeing Joe and Kahlil, Nina and Amir, Jerrilynne and Lain, her dad and Bear, Susan and her Amir or Bo, the husband/wife team of Barbara and Jim Dailey, Melissa Crain and Whoa Jack, and several others....and then thinking, "shoot, my horse is never going to top ten".  I did top ten many times with this bunch...but it wasn't easy.  It has changed, the people have changed, and so have the horses.   And remember folks, this was before, Legend shots, good electrolytes, advanced shoeing, probiotics, BCAA's, saddles that did everything but jump onto the horse and beet pulp  !!!!

Jody

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> However, that's not what struck me (and
> another friend) as I read these answers. What got to me is the lack
> > of whining and complaining. The graciousness and "cowboy up"
> attitude

Oh Cindy,
Now you're making me rethink my attitude. I'd already been thinking
about this a little lately. I used to go to rides wondering *if* I could
finish them. Then I started expecting to finish and avoiding rides where
there was a chance I'd have trouble finishing. Give me a couple more
rides to test Gunner out, then I might have to do something stupid to see
if I can find a better reason to whine. >g<

By the way, the toughest ride I ever did was not a 100. It was the
Edgemont Challenge 50 on a horse that just almost wasn't good enough to
handle the course so I did *way* too much on foot. (he looked great he
was just sooo SLOW!) I knew for a fact that there really wasn't
anywhere out on the scarey part of the ride where you *could* quit. I
felt like sitting down and crying but if I had I'd still be there. It was
obvious I had to get out on my own. It was funny how it didn't have that
affect on the other people in the ride but they were on better horses!
I've often thought I wonder if it would have been at all scarey on
Kaboot. That night after I'd finished just fine I finally lay in bed and
had tears rolling down my face. I don't know where the T-shirt is that I
got for it but if anybody wants to tell campfire stories about a tough
trail I pull that one out of my arsenal!

P.S. For those who think rocks & climbs make endurance...heard a rumor
today that we may get the Pigeon Mtn. (Longstreet's Charge) trail back.
Anybody wanna rumble?

Angie