[RC] Cervical Stenosis and Riding - Bruce Weary DC

   Hi Mary--
 You ask some very good questions about spinal stenosis and it's complications. First off, the term "stenosis" means "narrowing." In this case, it refers to narrowing of either the spinal canal (where the spinal cord lives) and/or the "side tunnels" where the nerves come out of the spine. This is a result of overgrowth of bone, cartilage, disc and connective tissue into these spaces as a result of injury, wear and tear, and sometimes genetics. The condition itself isn't painful, until it begins to encroach on pain sensitive tissues nearby. It's not reversible, and sometimes surgery is necesssary to open up some of these crowded areas to relieve pain and to release nerve or spinal cord pressure. There may be some general loss of range of motion, but most folks with stenosis don't know they have it unless it is discovered on an xray or MRI, or if they have symptoms. A spine can endure a lot of this "overgrowth" before symptoms ever show up. In other words, I would agree with your neurosurgeon that you don't need surgery, and I would follow up with a good chiro. Many symptoms that sometimes are attributed to stenosis are, instead, mechanical, and not related to the stenosis that may be present. In fact, gentle, intelligent manipulation may be your best ally in staying mobile and pain free. When the symptoms progress and are unrelenting, call the neurosurgeon. A CT and an MRI will be very useful in assessing the extent of the stenosis, and should correlate with your symptoms. In other words, if you have stenosis on the left side of your neck, but numbness in the right arm, the doctor needs to do some more searching for the right answers. As far as the danger of paralysis or whiplash, it's not clear who would sustain more damage from a fall or whiplash--those with or without stenosis. It depends on how the injury occurs and other factors.  Unless you have instability or some other factor like osteoporosis that make you vulnerable, you can probably ride as safely as most people. In my experience, when people with moderate stenosis injure themselves, they often sustain damage to the regions of the spine that are more mobile, as the stenotic regions are usually stiffer and less mobile, and more stabilized. In fact, in cases of severe stenosis, the symptoms usually preclude activities like riding, and sometimes surgical fusion is done to alleviate symptoms.
   I charge $400 per hour and it took me 15 minutes to type this. That will be $100, please. We take Visa and Mastercard.         Good luck, Dr Q