Re: [RC] EHV1 & Decision re Gator Run - Truman Prevatt

No question EHV1 could become an issue and by golly the USDA should be doing something to address it. However, there have been out breaks at race tracks in the past for several years and will most likely continue to be. The was one in Baltimore last year. I am sure outbreaks of diseases has been following the Grand Prix circuit in FL off and on for years. Outbreaks of disease happens at race tracks.

In the FL case it looks like it was identified and isolated rapidly and the infected horses kept to a bare minimum. In reality WN was probably a much bigger threat to FL horses the first year it hit. At least you can isolate horses with EHV1 - but you could not isolate the crow and mosquito during that period.

I don't know if we dodged a bullet or not - but the good news was there wasn't a knee jerk reaction to it in FL. The reaction was appropriate and it seems to be working just fine.

Life is about managing risk. You can minimize risk by locking yourself in a sterile padded room - but some don't consider that a life.

Truman

Diane Trefethen wrote:

Gator Run is probably perfectly safe to go to and enjoy. Also it may well
be true that we are currently in a situation akin to Chicken Little's "The
sky is falling! The sky is falling!" On the other hand, the way wildfire
contagions gain momentum is through indifference and an insubstantial
appreciation for the danger presented until it's too late.

South FL may have had no new cases in "over a week" but the time to start
breathing easier is 21 days - THREE weeks. Till then, vigilance and
caution are the watchwords for anyone traveling with their horses, whether
in South FL or in Northern California.

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil