Re: [RC] The Great Santa Fe Trail Horse Race/nothing new - Tx Trigger

Kim posted:>>>So, while you guys can speculate on what the "inexperienced"
are doing to prepare for their lifetime adventure, I know for a fact that
one of the "inexperienced" you talk about is probably getting the best
advice and information to make this a success.<<<

It is not the inexperienced ones like the guy you speak of, or Suzanne who
is actively seeking advice that have me a tad concerned.  It is the ones who
are NOT seeking advice, and might not listen to it even if given. Look how
many have entered Tevis over the past years who had never done a previous
endurance ride with a casual attitude of "how hard can it be to ride my
horse 100 miles?" Just because it seemed like a great adventure.

It is nothing more than a gut feeling on my part, after seeing some of the
riders who showed up in 2001, and 2004 to do the long XP's. While those two
rides were only advertised within pretty much AERC circles, and NOT
advertised on TV to the general horse public, and NOT advertised in the way
of newspaper articles, we still had some folks show up who just had no idea
what kind of undertaking they were getting themselves in to. Most on those
two rides had some distance riding background, but a few seemed to have very
little. Of course, they were weeded out pretty quick, and we saw the really
under prepared head home fairly soon after the starts of those rides. But we
had a very exceptional management that really stressed to the riders that
they must understand that the care and treatment of their horses was their
main responsibility, and to ride accordingly.

Hopefully any who are indeed, under prepared with their animals, and don't
have a full grasp on what riding 50 miles really is like,  will be weeded
out by having to do a 50 before the ride, and find that indeed, that was
more than they expected.  That and if they hold true to having 4 vet checks
per day as they say on their web page. Something that normally I'd cringe
about as a rider, but think that it might be a good idea, at least for the
first few days, until the see what kind of riders all the advertising has
attracted.

Jonni