RE: [RC] One last GPS question - Kristen A Fisher

I don't have any experience with the ForeTrex, but I have used the 201 "Back to Start" function quite successfully. We went out on a poorly marked trail about 7 miles and were not exactly sure how to get back. I turned on that function and it guides you with arrows and beeps back to your starting place. Worked like a charm. I just checked the Garmin web site and it looks like the ForeTrex has all this functionality too - but it doesn't say if it has the speed/time/distance functions of the Forerunner that are the primary reason I use my GPS. BTW the Forerunner 205 is advertised for about $175 from Wal-Mart on line.

I don't think the screen is large enough to show you a good "map" of your route, but with the foot-by-foot arrows, we didn't need it. [Eg, it says, "straight ahead" or "turn left" with arrows on the screen, and beeps as the directional info changes].

Kristen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alissa Norman
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:31 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] One last GPS question

Hi Ridecamp

I read the GPS emails a few weeks ago with interest, and I believe have convinced my husband to purchase one for me to try to keep me from getting lost while I am out on trail.

We're trying to decide between a Garmin Foretrex 201 (I don't need heart rate capabilities at this point) and a Forerunner 201 or 205.

I will be using this solely for trail riding.  I'd like to be able to see on the screen where I have been and where I am, so I can see which direction I need to head to get back home.

I can't tell from Garmin's website if the Forerunner allows you to do this.  Is there a screen that shows you a map of where you've been?

If you were me, what would you buy?

And is there significant enough difference between the Forerunner 201 and the 205 to justify buying a 205?  I've read a few reviews on line that are not complimentary of the changes made to improve the 201 to the new 205.

Thanks!
Alissa