[RC] Black rubber buckets & feed tubs - Susan Favro

I received an e-mail this morning from a gal regarding petroleum toxicity causing mares to not settle after breeding. Since we have three geldings, we don’t have much of a breeding program <sigh of relief>, but the source of the petroleum toxicity concerns me. Here’s a quote from the e-mail I received:

> The mare owner mailed the plucked mane hair to my Doc friend.    When it was

> tested, it showed that there was petroleum toxicity in the hair.   The mare

> owner was confused since she did not think the mare  had been near anything

> with petroleum.   Suddenly she realized that she had noticed that when she

> mixed

> corn oil in her mare's food, which she had  started doing a few months

> earlier to prepare for the pregnancy, the oil seemed  to affect the old black

> rubber

> bucket in which she was mixing and feeding  the food.    Research showed that

> the rubber buckets you  get for farm use are synthetic rubber, made from

> petroleum.

> A check of the research done on petroleum toxicity indicated that

> reproductive hormone problems, and therefore infertility, are one of the most

> common

> symptoms of this type of toxicity!  Estrogen, especially, is very  strongly

> affected by this kind of poisoning.

Has anybody else heard of the rubber buckets causing petroleum toxicity because of an interaction with feed, supplements and/or corn oil?

…S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
“Innovative effective products for horse and rider”
Official Sponsor: AERC (American Endurance Ride Conference)
Voice – 406.864.8000
Fax – 559.272.6093
Mobile – 406.370.6399
E-mail – Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx