[RC] eating habits - Juli Bechard

This is a question for all of you breeders and other people who have raised babies before.  My future endurance horse, Merlin, is almost 16 months old.  For the last two weeks, he’s markedly decreased the amount of feed he’s been eating.  He was getting 3 pounds of FRM’s Mare and Foal feed twice a day with free choice hay.  Two weeks ago, he started leaving feed in his bucket at meals.  So I cut him back to about 2.5 pounds at a time.  He’s still leaving some behind, and I went ahead and cut him back to 2#’s tonight.  He is eating hay like normal.  He’s been seen leaving his grain and eating hay.

Through this, he is a happy/bouncy/peppy baby who’s grown about 2 inches in the last three weeks. He’s in good weight, maybe a smidge thinner, but he’s not ribby at all, nor is he obese.  He’s been vaccinated and dewormed on schedule.  I do know that he’s cutting some molars right now, and I thought that was maybe causing his decrease in appetite.  However, I’ve never raised a baby before, so I don’t know it is normal.  If he acted the least bit off, I’d call the vet, but this evening he was doing airs above the ground with Alpine.

Thanks in advance.  J

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (I’ll eat whatever Merlin leaves behind cause mom is starving me to death)

Merlin (I like goodies….)