Re: [RC] Stallion Quality - SandyDSA

Kat, you wrote correctly:
And a good solid temperament can compensate for a multitude of
conformational flaws, and the one thing that not enough breeders select
for (IMO) as I have found it to be VERY heritable.
  The most perfectly
conformed horse in the world is of absolutely no use without a good
working disposition.  An easy to work with horse will ALWAYS be easier
to find a good home for no matter what its conformation than the most
conformationally perfect incredible athlete that requires expert
handling.
And imagine that gorgeous horse coming down the trail, fishtailing, sidepassing at speed, snorting and plunging, whilst the rider hangs on for dead life - You and YOUR sedate mount bail out of the way for this gorgeous horse and my bet is that his beauty or correctness is the last thing on your mind. It would be mine.

I am remined of a "do NOT try this at home" moment with our now coming 22 year old SE stallion that reminded me of why we chose him - aside from his 22 resting pulse and 8" bone and sleek,, solid comformation. Our daughter who desires to remain nameless used to hack all over our old neighborhood on him - with no trouble since he was such a docile fellow. One day I could not find either of them on the ranch, and to my mild dismay no saddles were missing. I went out front an hour or so later and saw them coming from the direction of the Regional Rec area - a HUGE expanse of public park designated for bikes, horses and the like. I could see from a distance that they had no saddle as they trotted along; as they got closer I squinted to see just what she had on his head. Moments later I had to just about scrape myself off the ground as I realized that they were WEARING NO headstall - only a medium weight neck hoop of my daughter's making! They had gone for what had to have been a two hour trail ride in nothing but a shoulder ring and a couple of smiles. And NO do NOT try this, really, on ANY horse. But she was a youth and HE was a, well, I don't know what - and to this day what has KEPT him a stallion, aside from the sleek, beautiful foals he produced, is his incredible disposition. He was called the Gentleman stallion by training friends years ago, and though he was NOT a highly desirable "show" stallion to "show mare" owners, he is now beginning to attract attention from people who actually want to RIDE their own horses! Imagine THAT! Well, if you had lived in the show ring in the 80's and even 90's, you would see the stupidity that is profound there - no one actually RIDES their horses, they pay big bucks for someone else to do it so temperament does not MATTER to them. It does to us and it should to you if you want to take your horse - of ANY GENDER - in public.

A new friends some months ago commented n him "Sal seems to be showing his age - look at how he is half asleep!" I said, no, he is always like that in the yard!" ISn't that how YOU want YOUR stallions?