[RC] Suzanne and the GSFHR - Kerry Greear

I have been reading these questions, comments and posts with interest.  Just
being able to get such good/free advice from endurance riders who have ridden
so many miles successfully and kept their horses happy and sound means so much
to people who start this sport.  I was there not so long ago, Suzanne.  I just
finished my 3rd year of endurance and it has been a fun, hard, wonderful
journey.  I wish you had more time to get ready for the Santa Fe Ride.  But I
think you will do fine; just based on these facts:  You are willing to ask for
information, you have a science background which helps process and weed out
information, you are able to evaluate and reformulate.  Also, you have more
than one horse, and already have lots of saddle miles.  I learn several things
every time I ride and also weekly on this forum; growing and changing keeps us
young!

I also came from a trailriding and "riding the pastures" background.  You are
right, it is easy to put 50 miles on per day when doing this.  However, if you
are like I was, you do some trotting but more loping and short stetches of
galloping.  It was very different for me to spend so much time trotting.  The
saddle I used (still use on my QH), was a well-loved western saddle.  I used it
as well as a western Abetta (which I still use quite alot).  I changed to a
Specialized in 2005 because I can adjust it to fit as my horse changes in
condition throughout the year, it is light and comfortable, and because it
takes no time or energy for me to throw it off and put it back on at a vet
check.  But that would not be the first thing I would change; I would do at
least one 50 in your saddle first.  My friend, Dorothy Sue Phillips, did well
over 1,00 miles this year in a western saddle which is heavy!!!!  Her horse won
BC at the 5 day Bryce Canyon Ride.  I would definitely do tights, which is not
something I would ever have thought I'd wear!!!!  On my second ride, I saw a HW
woman with thin tights you could practically see through in the butt!  She told
someone with her that they were her good luck tights and still protected her in
the places she needed them.  She had bought a fleece saddle cover instead of
newer tights!!!!  I thought that was a wonderful story about our sport; we get
really attached to some of our stuff.  It is true that you will see different
styles and absolutely no sense of style on the trail.  That is just not
important.

The sponging from a creek, learning to read your horse when they feel like they
are in competition, knowing how your horse is doing minute by minute takes
quite a few 50s.  If you have the attitude and you can ride your horse amidst
all the excitement at a completion pace you will probably do just fine and have
a wonderful time.  Perhaps you can condition your horses together,
leapfrogging, getting them used to drinking whenever they get the chance,
watching heart rates, etc. over the next couple of months and keep everyone
informed of how your program is progressing!

I plan to be at the Santa Fe Ride as well, as a member of one of the
superteams.  I hope I have the opportunity to meet you.  I know there is much
concern out there about this ride.  But I know and believe in Ray Randall and
Dean Jackson.  I also know that whatever else is going on, I will concentrate
on my horse.  I do not want to miss out on this adventure; and I think I can be
part of it while still taking good care of my horse.