Re: [RC] Thanks for vest info - Lysane Cree

Mary,

There is a shoulder protection for the Tipperary vests. It is an "add-on", so they may not always have it in stock at the tack stores, but they should be able to order it for you (or perhaps you can order it directly from Tipperary). It velcros onto the vest with an elastic armband - protects the point of the shoulder.

Lysane

DVM@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for all the inputs on protective vests.  This really is a great group of people.  Tried on the Tipperary eventing vest and liked it a lot better than the cheaper brands.  Haven't found a Casel-equi vest to try in my area yet but I like the idea of the additional shoulder protection.  May or may not have helped when I land directly on my shoulder in Nov and ended up with my collar bone in 3 pieces, my shoulder blade in a bunch of pieces, and 6 broken ribs with a slightly collapsed lung.  My biggest regret in light of the hospital treatment which consisted only of diagnostics, 2 nights stay and painkillers, was in going to the hospital in the first place and racking up over $30,000 in medical bills.  None of the breaks were the type that are set.  You just grin and bear them for a couple of months.  I guess piece of mind is worth something (not $30,000+ though).  All this happened around the time of the thread discussing what we think of as we're going down-I distinctly remember thinking, "Whoa Rocky, you sumnabeach" and then, "This is gonna hurt."  It did.

One the bright side however, I trail rode my mare, Jackie, yesterday for the first time since the wreck.  I was on her for a full 30 seconds when she slipped in the mud and fell on to her side.  She fell towards my good shoulder though, it was in slow motion, and since I landed on my butt, no harm done.  Nice to get the first fall after an injury out of the way so as to get over the heebie-jeebies quickly.  Really do need to get a vest though.  Thanks for all your help.
Happy trails,
Mary Brown