[RC] Re:[RC] removing Ortho-Flex panels - Don Huston

At 06:37 AM 3/4/2006 Saturday, you wrote:

On 3/3/06, Don Huston <donhuston@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Jonni,
Yes. I have two Patriots. The oldest one uses huge Phillips head screws. The newer one uses Allen head screws. There will be a slit in the foam over the screw heads. You can find the slit by pushing hard with your finger in the area of the screw. I have removed the metal spacers between panel and the tree on both saddles. I think the saddles fit better now and I have not had any sore back problems.

Don Huston

How and why did you remove the tree, or was that a typo, and you mean to say, "I removed the bolts from the tree"

so did you put the panel back on?? Or did you leave the panel off completely???

--
     Debbie in SE MN

Lose Weight, Make Money, Ask me How!!!

Hello Debbie
I removed the bolts so that I could remove the metal spacers between the panel and the tree on both saddles. Then I rebolted the panel to the tree with just the metal washers and not too tight. The panel is slotted so I made sure it could slide in the slot if I pulled on it. I used 3/8" thick felt and cut inserts the same size as the pockets in the booties to raise the saddle back up the distance I lost removing the spacers. For some reason IMO the panels fit my horses better when supported the entire length of the tree. The panels still flex up at the ends and twist sideways with the horse's movements. I also use a thin Woolback endurance-cut pad to keep the booties clean. Removing the spacers also got rid of that very annoying metallic clicking and crunching sound I heard sometimes.
Don Huston