[RC] Road riding?? Conditioning - kit kat

Alright everyone, I have some questions being a relative Newbie.

I have my horse boarded on 15 acres. I love the place she is at, and she loves it. Shes a special horse, she cannot go into stalls, as she was an avid stall kicker for over 4 yrs at the race track. She doesnt do well in paddocks either. So it really has put a damper on where I board her around my area as everyone here seems big into stalls and ity bity paddocks.

So, I board 2.125 miles from the nearest trail. Thats all road riding to get there, and its got crappy siding and the people that drive down there are not the best drivers... saying this kindly.

I wanted to start out at 5 or 6 miles this season, but right there, thats almost all road and I really cant get alot of speed up for trotting on narrow siding and tones of driveways. Some of the sections dont even have siding on one of the hills, just cement.

Last year, I broke her and conditioned her on the roads, but I had a riding buddy most the time and good siding, still crazy drivers though. We did two 15 milers last year at a multiday and she did very well for the little amount of saddle time and just doing road riding, Never trails.

So, the issue im running into is.. im conditioning alone this year and I trust my horse, just not all the other factors of that 4.25 miles of road riding. I cannot move her as I have been searching for a place and have not found one that suits are needs. Once we get to the trails, they are very nice and we have 53.5 KM of trails available, but its getting there that worries me.

So, can someone condition on roads and still get a good endurance horse? How many of you have to ride on roads and what advice do you have to give? What kind of foot gear do you use? I have thought about putting plastic shoes on if Im going to be doing alot of pavement riding, but I dont think that would help the issue all that much.

I have 12 weeks till the ride I want to go to.. and I had planned on doing at least one 30 at this ride.. maybe two as its a mulitday and have already booked the days off work. Is it possible to get her conditioned in this time for this ride. I have been riding her, and shes not out of shape, just havent asked for speed much.

Any help would be great.

Sarah, Arty and Sugar
Abbotsford BC Canada