Re: [RC] [RC] GPS - April

I really like my Garmin Forerunner 301. This is an integrated GPS, heart rate monitor unit. I bought Roger Rittenhouse's (www.vmaxept.com) adapter kit to adapt the HRM to my horse. I also picked up an extra hrm strap for me so I can use the Forerunner to track my heart rate when I'm cross training off the horse. This unit really helps me with training and logging my training miles for my horse and my cross training efforts for me.

I like SportTracks as an all-around good logging program. It's donationware and works with a variety of GPS units, not just the Forerunner. Really don't need a GPS, either. www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Garmin is on the brink of releasing two new fitness wrist units. The Forerunner 305 has the integrated HRM and now it also can be used with an optional cadence unit. Handy if biking is one of your cross-training activities. The Forerunner 205 is virtually identical to the 305s, but does not have support for heart rate or cadence. Both units are using a new GPS receiver chip that boasts much better GPS reception than ever before. These new units are pricey. The F305 is running $350 with HRM or the Cadence option (Add $60 to get both hr and cadence). The F205 is running $250.

The F301 can be had for around $175.

Roger's adapter kit is $55 or $75, depending on which package you choose.

I paid the same amount for my F301 as I did for my previous GPS (a Forerunner 201) and my previous HRM (a VMAX Eduro-C) and I am so much more happy with my 301.

Here is an old review I did just after I got my F301. There are a lot of comparisons to the F201, since that's what I had been using for a year prior. http://tinyurl.com/55g5c

Have fun and feel free to ask me any questions you like.

April
Nashville, TN
www.tracetribute.com