[RC] Response to several of Ginny's posts. - rides2far

Ginny,
You seem to be new to the list. Are you new to endurance? I looked up
your name on the records and didn't see a listing, but you could have
competed under a maiden name or something.  I'd like to question a couple
of things you've posted.

You said:

So, if you condition your horse by riding for 50 mile rides, then
they can
handle a 25 mile race well; but if you condition your horse by riding for
25
mile rides, then they can only handle 10-15 miles at race pace well.

So to "race" a 100, someone must be able to "ride" 200? This is the sort
of thing I thought before I started, which was the reason I used to break
so many horses down in training and so many people overtrain their first
horses. I never "train" a 50 mile horse over 25 miles or so...even at
subrace pace. Heck, I've never found a horse who *would* (if I had the
nerve) pace in training like they do in a ride. The "turbo jets on"
impulsion is only there when they see those other hoses.. My competitions
are my fastest "training rides". The competitions prepare him for faster
competitions. A high intensity 8-15 mile training ride along with slower
longer rides (25 or so) is what's worked very well for me.

Treating abcess:

So, 2 courses > of action
are needed.  One is to help reduce infection by apply a better
disinfectant. >   eWrite to me privately and I will explain how to
clean the
infected area > better than you have.  Two is to provide supplements
that will boost
your > horse's immune system.  eWrite to me privately and I'll explain
what
your > horse needs.  The reason I cannot explain these things here is
that
each > horse has different needs in both cases.  I will need to obtain
specifics > about your particular horse in order to detemine what your
horse
needs, > different from any other horse.  It would be potentially
harmful for
someone > else to do the same thing; as their horse would need
something
entirely > different, even in dealing with the same or similar problem.

So wouldn't it be "potentially harmful" for you to diagnose something so
"touchy" without seeing the horse? Personally, I'd probably soak him in
some epsom salts or wrap him with ichthammol.

On catching snot nosed horses:

Perhaps adding a Vet Check in advance would help, though -- that is,
to even
begin the race.  That would certainly be simple to establish and
accomplish.

There is a thorough pre-race vet check...the night before. It's called
"vetting in"

If you are new to endurance, but you are coming from the position of an
"equine professional" you may have some insight that will be very helpful
to us...but if you haven't done endurance before, we may be able to show
you some situations you haven't seen and we may both give the others more
insight.  If I'm wrong, I apologize. I don't go searching someone's
record to "dis" them...more to see where they're coming from.

Angie