[RC] AHA Sweepstakes Program - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sue Nance endurance@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am curious to see what every ones thoughts are on the proposed changes to the
Sweepstakes Program. As it is currently written it allows payback on distance
from 25 miles and up. It is not dependent upon AHA horse entered to allow
payment, they pay on a point system based on placing.  It is my understanding
that some members of the board at AERC has lobbied that AHA only allow distance
form 50 miles and up. This bothers me some because the membership is not only
50 mile and up riders. I am not going thorough the ?OMG, LD?s again? It is a
fact that the membership of AERC includes people that enjoy or are forced to do
LD?s. My question is what makes it OK for AERC to determine that LD?s cannot
participate in AHA especially when they are members of AHA and pay the same
amount of dues as any one else? I ride all distances, it depends on which horse
I ride, where they are in their training or what I think may be in the best
interest for them at that particular time. I feel that if I want to participate
in the Sweepstakes program, I should be able to choose. I am sure that people
are afraid of ?Racing?; however, I have seen more ?racing? on 50 miles and up
than 25?s. Plus the LD?s must reach criteria before they can place and they
have only ½ hour to do so, whereas, a 50 can haul butt and take an hour to come
down and be determined ?fit to continue? I would bet that if you look at the
numbers, you will find more fatalities related to endurance, than the LD?s.  OK
now that I raised the question, I am looking for objective dialog. I am not
interested in flaming type of posts regarding LD?s vs. endurance. My concern is
that the members were not allowed to participate in a decision that may
potentially affect them.

Sue Nance, NW
Does LD's, 50's,75's and 100's