Re: [RC] [RC] cover photo - Juli Jakub

I usually stay out of these discussions on any forum. I believe adults have a right to do as they please in regards to wearing a helmet. It is a free country. But I have been in the horse business for a while and to say that there are not many head injuries is ridiculous. There are many even with helmets in all disciplines. A concussion is one of the most common horse related injuries...I have been breaking and riding babies and re-training problem horses since I was 16. I am only 28. I have had eight concussions. A couple could have ended my life if not for my helmet. All my doctors say they see tons of concussions from riding accidents. You may feel differently someday when a loved one or friend dies or is permanently disabled by a horse related head injury. I have had two times personally that I wish a friend had worn a helmet. One is no longer with me because of it and the other is mentally handicapped because of it. Wear a helmet or not is your decision, but to say that head injuries are not common in horseback riding is incorrect. And I do not wear a helmet out of fear...I wear it because I have a brain that I would like to keep in my skull and no human can control all events and situations all the time. I wear a helmet on motorcycles too. It does not hurt me in any way and it is insurance that if my horse were to slip and fall that my brains may not be splattered all over.

I enjoyed the cover photo on the Feb. issue of the Endurance News. I have ridden horses all my life as I was born and raised on a working cattle ranch. It is such a relief to actually see someone without a helmet. You can see a face that goes with that body and voice. By Golly, not everyone does look alike. My goodness, the girl was just standing close to her horse. I rode with a friend of mine last month and she always wears her helmet, but for some reason she left it at the trailer. She said it felt so good to feel the wind in her hair. I never thought about it much because that is something that I live with everyday and I love the wind in my hair. Those that have such a fear of the horse should maybe grab onto another activity. Quite frankly, you'll only see me bare-headed,with a ball cap or a regular hat of some kind. That's one of the reasons why I ride endurance. I want to be left alone to ride as I will and please don't even make the attempt to tell me what to wear to include