[RC] Re:cover photo--helmets, my perspective - luv2ridefar

As a long-time ICU and ER nurse I could tell you all the reasons you should wear a helmet, but I'm sure you already know them and choose to take your chances.  One you may not have thought of is the work, worry, trouble, time and concern you would cost your fellow riders if your head hits hard ground minus the helmet.  With the helmet you could probably get up, catch your horse and be on your way, unless something else is injured.  Without it, lots of people have to be involved in going for help, transporting you out, finding your horse, calling 911, waiting for the ambulance and generally worrying about how badly you are hurt.  Having been involved in a few of the above scenarios (though the injuries were not from lack of a helmet and were not life-threatening) it’s kind of a downer and can really take the fun out of a ride.  JMHO.

Patsy

----- Original Message ----
From: ginger orrinandginger@xxxxxxxxxxx

I enjoyed the cover photo on the Feb. issue of the Endurance News. I have ridden horses all my life as I was born and raised on a working cattle ranch. It is such a relief to actually see someone without a helmet. You can see a face that goes with that body and voice. By Golly, not everyone does look alike. My goodness, the girl was just standing close to her horse. I rode with a friend of mine last month and she always wears her helmet, but for some reason she left it at the trailer. She said it felt so good to feel the wind in her hair. I never thought about it much because that is something that I live with everyday and I love the wind in my hair. Those that have such a fear of the horse should maybe grab onto another activity. Quite frankly, you'll only see me bare-headed,with a ball cap or a regular hat of some kind. That's one of the reasons why I ride endurance. I want to be left alone to ride as I will and please don't even make the attempt to tell me what to wear to include the helmet. I have seen my share of injuries over the years and most were to other body parts, not the head. Maybe we should wear full body armor. Now lets hear it.