Re: [RC] cover photo - Joe Long

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:31:48 GMT, Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: ginger orrinandginger@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I enjoyed the cover photo on the Feb. issue of the Endurance News. I have
ridden horses all my life as I was born and raised on a working cattle ranch.
It is such a relief to actually see someone without a helmet. You can see a
face that goes with that body and voice. By Golly, not everyone does look
alike. My goodness, the girl was just standing close to her horse. I rode with
a friend of mine last month and she always wears her helmet, but for some
reason she left it at the trailer. She said it felt so good to feel the wind
in her hair. I never thought about it much because that is something that I
live with everyday and I love the wind in my hair. Those that have such a fear
of the horse should maybe grab onto another activity. Quite frankly, you'll
only see me bare-headed,with a ball cap or a regular hat of some kind. That's
one of the reasons why I ride endurance. I want to be left alone to ride as I
will and please don't even make the attempt to tell me what to wear to include
the helmet. I have seen my share of injuries over the years and most were to
other body parts, not the head. Maybe we should wear full body armor. Now lets
hear it.

Hmmm, you must have a different EN than I do ... I'm looking at it right now,
and the young lady is wearing a helmet.  There is no requirement by AERC that
adults must wear helmets in competition (and I agree with that, if an adult
wants to risk brain damage or death for vanity that's their right).  Juniors are
required to wear them.  One of the rules that I helped get adopted when I was on
the Board.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx