Re: [RC] cover photo - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
Right now I can't picture a lot of equine sports (barrel racing,
etc) with helmets.

I know Angie isn't advocating the above, but just my two cents worth....from
what I have seen of barrel racing in Calif (went around with friend on
circuit in High School)....and have gone to the local ones here (ususally
leave early in disgust), it's the one kid's equestrian sport that needs
mandated helmet use the most!  I don't think I have gone to even one
gymkhana event where some kid didn't hit the ground....

Last one I went to in January, the ground AND pavement around our
fairgrounds was very slippery.  A kid was riding his horse down the slight
hill behind the arena when the feet just went out from under the horse;
horse fell on kid...pinned it; I went by just after it happened and people
were trying to get horse of kid, the kid is lying with his head on the
pavement.....I also see kids doing the barrels totally out of
control....horses veering at a full gallop along pipe arena fence, kid half
falling out of saddle, head about to ping, ping, ping along rails....plus
the general lack of horsemanship and control is apalling.....

Our local junior riders club does not manadate helmets....their drill team
never work them (except some parents insisted their kids wear them), you
know the drivel....nobody liked the way they looked, too expensive, etc.
When 4-H started to mandate helmet use, that meant the drill team had to
wear helmets at the county fair...they got matching helmet covers that were
cute....but still the majority of the kids ditched their helmets for drill
practice at the annual rodeo since it wasn't required. . One year the team
was waiting to ride at the rodeo, and a horse got a front leg through the
reins...panicked, reared and went over backwards....smacking rider's head
onto pavement....(no helmet)...pretty cowboy hat squished.....girl rushed to
emergency at hospital where they asked, why wasn't this girl wearing a
helmet????   Girl was in serious condition...they said another blow to head
would be a really bad idea....but there she was the next year, running
barrels full speed no helmet (I say dumb, dumb parents).....and the next
year the drill team voted to not participate in the county fair where they
had to wear helmets....and so all bought very expensive black cowboy hats
for the rodeo!!!

I have no respect at all for these KIDS western sports that don't require
helmets...hell, they require cowboy BOOTS.

Back when California State Horseman;s association started the trail trial
program, there was no helmet rule for kids....I bitched about that and sent
info.....now they did mandate helmets for kids....I also helped in the fight
for 4-H to require helmets in Calif.

I won't support any equestrian organization that doesn't require helmets for
kids....

Wind in your hair? How is a helmet any different from a Cowboy hat or
baseball hat in letting you feel the wind in your hair? Yes, I rode all my
younger days with no hat at all.....and my skin is paying the price now!!!

Off soapbox!!
Karen