[RC] Electrolyte Formulas - Carolyn Burgess

I've used both Perform n'Win and Acculytes (Vita-Flex) with good success.  My biggest problem was that I just wasn't using enough of them.  My horse was always a good drinker, but because I wasn't using enough, he was still having hydration issues during a ride.  One of the vets saw that I was having an issue and suggested (what I though was) a rediculous amount to give (like a full dose every hour), and voila, my problem was gone.

Carolyn Burgess

Nancy Mitts <mitts_n@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It certainly is a good idea to experiment with different elyte formulas and
dosing protocols to find out what it best for your horse. Your post makes it
sound as if you're basing the elytes performance mainly on whether or not
the horse drinks? Maybe you are factoring in other variables and just
keeping the post short. If not, consider how long a ride, how far did you
haul, what time of day, how much is the horse sweating, what is horses
condition, taste of strange water, etc. These will all play together to
determine how much a horse will drink at a given time.
Many horses will develop a pattern, and deviation from their normal is what
to watch for, rather than assuming they should all be the same. My 1/2 arab
mare drinks much less than her non arab sire ridden side by side, (okay,
head to tail) on the same rides. She seems to drink all she needs to and I
have quit worrying about it.
If recoveries are good and there are no metabolic problems I would be
cautious about changing things like the brand AND the dosage at the same
time.
Nancy Mitts