Re: [RC] girth problems - Barbara McCrary

Interesting...........I've had my Wintec about 3-1/2 years, and it is still soft and flexible.  I don't wash it very much, either.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] girth problems

"....Wintec waffle neoprene girth..."

The Wintec waffle girths we had were made from vinyl plastic.  This is an important distinction.  Vinyl plastic is, by nature, hard.  It is used to make the white drain pipes for homes.  To make it flexible for girths and other uses, the maker adds materials called "plasticizers" to the vinyl.  Over a period of time, sweat, heat, flexing etc. tends to remove the plasticizers and the vinyl becomes brittle.

I found that after about 4 seasons I have to replace Wintec girths because they are brittle and start to crack and cause rubs.

I also wonder if some of the reports of "Neoprene" causing reactions on some horses are actually the plasticizers leaching out of vinyl girths.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875