RE: [RC] National Forest Lands - Jim Holland

Basically, I'm opposed to ANY use of National Forest monies for ANY purpose
other than the purchase of land and maintenance of the National Forests.

However, I will humor you here for a moment and give you a historical
perspective. <grin> If you want to discuss this at the convention, let's get
together. I'll buy the beer. By the way, I live in a county that is mostly
National Forest.

This all started back around 1908 right after the establishment of the
National Forests. At that time, the government felt that the residents of
those counties with a lot of NF land would be "deprived" of revenue because
those lands were not in public hands. They decreed that 25% of the revenue
from National Forests lands would go to those counties. Around 1937, that
was changed to 75% of the those revenues. Back in those days, the FS was
heavily logging timber, especially in the Northwest, and the result was lots
of revenue to those counties from that activity. Keep in mind this is a
"revenue sharing" program, not a subsidy....no cost to the public except a
reduced income from NF revenues.

Then the "environmental" movement happened. It started when people (like me)
who regularly recreated in the National Forests got really annoyed at some
of the FS "timber management" practices, such as spraying the deciduous tree
sprouts with herbicide (which was toxic to animals) in order to grow pines
(they grew faster)and clear cutting parcels without regard to the runoff
impact on the watersheds. We weren't concerned about the logging...just the
methods they used and the resulting impact on the forests and the wildlife
therin. Then to our dismay, the radical "environmentalists", without a clue
about how forest ecosystems work, deemed that cuttting ANY tree was heresy.
This are the same type of folks that don't understand that if you want to
eat pork chops, a pig has gotta die! Then we went to extremes the other way,
leading to things like the Clinton Roadless Initiative, idiots putting
spikes in trees, etc. FS revenues declined severely as timber harvesting was
impacted by lawsuits, issues over "endangered species", environmental impact
statements, etc.

Along about 2000, there were projections of a balanced budget, even a
surplus, and Congress was looking for a way to spend it.  They passed an
inocuous little bill called the "Secure Rural Schools and Community Self
Determination Act of 2000", which would expire in 6 years. What this did was
provide a government subsidy to mitigate the impact of the reduced funds
from FS revenues, ostensibly to give these counties time to "adjust" to life
without these funds, basically directed at transportation and schools. It
expires in September, 2006.

I think six years is adequate time to adjust. We can no longer afford such
projects with our current deficit, which is going to be with us a LOONNNG
time. There is a law of diminishing returns. If we sell off our heritage of
National Forests lands to raise a relatively paltry 800 million to continue
a subsidy that the beneficiaries KNEW was going to expire, what do we sell
off next time? It's a scary precedent. If it's THAT important, then include
it in the budget. If not, drop it.

You CHOOSE to live where you are. You also "benefit" from the proximity of
the National Forests, and perhaps the seclusion and quality of life it
provides. IMHO, you are reimbursed adequately. I see no reason why the
government should reward you for living there, especially at the expense of
the National Forests.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm