RE: [RC] National Forest Lands - Bob Morris

Jim:

To some extent you are correct. But, here in the west, Idaho
in particular, these small parcels of land do not add to the
tax base of the local counties. They do, in fact, detract
form the tax base and are an expense to the local
population.

The Feds used to pay an "in lieu" fund to the counties based
on the logging production on federal lands. That has all but
ceased. The counties therefore get little or no "in lieu"
tax funds and are going broke. Realize, the federal lands in
some counties are up to 80% of the land in some cases. These
rural counties were logging, mining  and like industry
areas. These counties are trying to boost tourism but that
does not pay the same nor furnish the revenues to the county
governments as in the past.

Every one states Te public lands belong to all citizens of
the country, then all of them should contribute to some form
of support to those counties with a small tax base?

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID