Re: [RC] LD Rides / Endurance - Dressage - Diane Trefethen

An earlier post compared various levels of Dressage to the different events in our sport, pointing out that riders doing Training Level are considered "dressage riders" just as much as those doing Grand Prix. I like the analogy but don't think it was complete. Dressage (Distance Riding) is divided into two categories, Standard events (Limited Distance) and FEI events (Endurance). These two categories are further divided into levels, Intro - Fourth Level (25 miles - 35 miles) and Prix St George - Grand Prix (50 miles - 100 miles). In addition, there are Dressage Freestyle events one might equate to our Multi-day rides. Entry fees for FEI (Endurance) events are usually higher than for Standard (LD) events. The two categories are listed separately on entry forms and programs.

It is unfortunate that some riders are upset that LD is not called Endurance but I believe the problem lies in their not understanding the history of the sport and its terminology. Imagine for a moment that before Dressage became formalized, there were only Grand Prix events and all the horses were Grand Prix horses. As time passed, the progressive training required (dressage means training in French) became more obvious and more categories were added. Official Dressage organizations sprang up in various countries and incorporated not Grand Prix but Dressage into their names. Would today's Dressage riders feel slighted or demeaned when others refused to call their horses Grand Prix horses? DO today's Training Level Dressage riders expect to be called Grand Prix riders?

While my analogy does not accurately represent the history of Dressage, it does mirror that of Endurance. Originally there were no sanctioned, officially recognized rides of less than 50 miles so there was no need to differentiate between "Endurance" and "Limited Distance". It was all Endurance (Grand Prix) and our organization took that for its name. Then unofficial and unsanctioned short rides started being held. Some of these rides were without veterinary control and more than a few horses died. The AERC abhorred the loss of life and also recognized the damage these deaths would do to Endurance so they developed a new category, Limited Distance. Thus Endurance originally referred to, and still does, rides of 50+ miles while Limited Distance originally referred to, and still does, sanctioned rides of less than 50 miles.

I hope this helps some of the newer Distance riders appreciate why we have the word Endurance in our organization's title and why there is a distinction between the two basic categories of Distance riding. If Endurance riders sound snobbish when they say LD riders shouldn't use the term Endurance, truly, it is much more a reflection of pride in going 50, 75 or 100 miles than it is a put down or "slap in the face" to those riding Limited Distance.

To finish my analogy, IF there were a Ridecamp for Dressage riders, what do you think the reaction would be if some Training-Fourth Level riders started demanding to be called Grand Prix riders?