RE: [RC] being competitive - Bob Morris

Steph:

You pose some interesting discussion points in your post
below. I will offer my point of view once again.

Your first venture is into the realm of "to finish is to
win' - 'the trail is the only competition' - 'we shouldn't
care if we don't finish (to start is to win)"  Rightly so,
the entire quote is the basis of our sport. If these basics
are forgotten then the competition turns into a completely
commercial venture and is no longer a sport. To finish is to
win is such a true statement that a miniscule portion of the
countries population ever accomplishes it. I means the
person who completes an endurance ride is an outstanding
horse person as compared to the general population.

You go an top ask "Is this sport really that different from
others in which there's a real sense of competition?" I must
answer an emphatic YES!!! How many other equine sports have
the time exposure in competition? How many other equine
sports are so closely controlled by exact veterinary
standards? How many other equine sports are run on ungroomed
terrain? This list could go further but you get the concept.
As to the competition in the sport, It is there but not
expressed in the same manner as the other equine sports.
Remember, those sports are performed in front of massive
crowds where as our chosen form is performed in front of
very, very few. For the others, almost instant gratification
is assured. In endurance gratification is a more personal
thing, obtained from the trail, the views of the surrounding
country and in the sense of accomplishment.

If you believe that competition on the higher level is
absent in endurance, then I can assure you, when you see six
or eight horses in a flat out run for the finish line after
150 miles in less than 24 hours, competition is present in
the fullest. It is expressed in not only the race but in the
fact that the horses are racing, the riders have
accomplished something extraordinary and they know that the
prize is miniscule. Those riders won much more than any
"Gold Medal" ld ever express.

Your statement " But I've also felt that there is a subtle
'to try to win is bad' version of our sport motto." is an
unwarranted feeling. I do know exactly what you are
referring to. This unique manifestation of placing the alpha
score on the vet card above really knowing your horse is the
cause of some of it. How did we ever do well in endurance
when the vets only used OK or PULLED on the card? My feeling
is, if you get all "A's" on your card you did not get the
best from your horse that day. You did not even do your
best.

To me though, competing in something like the Presidents Cup
is not the epitome of endurance competition. To me the
pinnacle is to be continually placing in the top of
competition with minimal pulls (i.e. 99% top ten and 96%
completion) and thousands of miles. It is not an impossible
position but one that requires intent, work and the proper
mental attitude.

After all, what is better, to be at the top in our sport
year after year with no gold or to go for the gold and have
a one season horse?

Mind you my concepts are based on a non-commercial position.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID